Wednesday 30 May 2012

Shemesh in the Sun

Dear Someone, 

Here is an update on the Monday field trip day! We went out to the Shephelah. There are all sorts of valleys and mountains in the land of Jerusalem. Something historical happened in each one. There are such wonders to behold everywhere we go. My favorite place that we went was the valley where David slew Goliath. 
We were in such historical places all day. We went to Bet Shemesh. This is where the Ark of the Covenant was returned to Israel. It was a hot hot hot day. 

I am Goliath and Annie is David. I think I made a great Goliath. In the background is the valley where the epic battle took place! 

We went down into the valley and found five round stones to throw in our sling shots! These are my stones. They only flew about 5 feet. I would have been eaten by Goliath. 

This is the sling that we used that would have been similar to what David had. It had the little pouch for the rock and then two strings. One of the strings had a loop on the end for a finger and then you let go of the strings and let the rock fly. For me it was more like letting the rock fall. 

We are in preparation to sling those rocks! Did I mention it was really really hot. Camila's thermometer read 120 degrees. I don't think that was quite accurate but it felt pretty darn close! 
"Its so hot here!" -- as Katy would say. 

There was some wheat next to our shooting range. Perfect for a ladies picture! 
The fields were literally white and ready to harvest! 


Our last stop of the day was at the Bell caves. It was nice to go inside a cave and out of the sun. It had built in air conditioning. They mine for chalk in these caves! 

This field trip also made me nervous for the long hot summer ahead of me! I might melt or move into the chalky caves. It is so amazing how each field trip here can strengthen my faith of my Heavenly Father! He will always win the fights against the giants.

Love, 
Mary Jane 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, pretty amazing to see such historically rich places. David was such a "rock star" going up against Goliath. I really like Michelangelo's depiction of him! Soak it all in! Thanks for sharing, Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are SO using your photos for a FHE on David & Goliath.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete